Friday, November 04, 2005

Talking to cops at 5 am

Where should I start..ok yes..Picture it ..Sicily 1895..just kidding...but do picture this...A hard working grad student sleeping soundly with a smile on her face at 6am on her Friday morning off. Then wham..a jackhammer awakens her in a fright. Yes folks, I was that grad student. About 3 fridays ago I was awaken by a construction crew outside my window at 6 am. I got up anyway cause I needed to do some studying. No big deal. Well, the next day (sat) my class had to go spend the day with some children with special needs for their annual sports day. At 4:30am I am awaken by the sound of jackhammers..AGAIN. This time I had had it. The city has been redoing Church street since I moved in and for some reason they feel the need to work on sat mornings. Well, I was fumming. I slid open my window and stared the construction crew down. My death rays periced their souls. I got my video camrea out and taped the event. Can you picture me hanging out of my 5th floor apratment window shooting footage of a street repavement. I tried to go back to sleep but I think the jackhammer just got louder. Hang on a sec and let me describe this JH. It is not one you see busting up a little area, this JH was industrial strength..it was hooked to AND controlled by a tractor. After contemplating what to do I put on a sweatshirt and went on the search for the foreman of this crew. I make my way down to the street and find my neighbor getting coffee out of our starbucks dispensor ( he couldn't sleep either and was going to a hotel) I am on a mission..I find a cop standing on the sidewalk watching the whole thing take place. I asked him...very nicely and without attitude..Is there a reason this needs to be done at 4 in the morning. He tells me that yes, it must be done at night so that it will not disturb traffic in the daytime. OH why did I not realize that having cars detour a block over is much more distrubing then waking up 100 residents at night. Lets just say more words were spoken as the foreman came over, of course I did all the talking. he just stated that this was the Mayor's project. I bet the mayor would not want this JH under his window at 4 am.
By the time I came home that evening the street was paved and all jackhammers were sleeping.
This week they striped the entire street. I guess the mayor didn't like the job they did, so they get to so it again. Thats what we are paying for in taxes here in Nashvagas.
Here are some pics of the tractor + jackhammer and "sports day"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have lost your ever-loving mind.