Monday, July 07, 2008

Seattle: or should I say Queen Anne

So last week I went to visit my sister and brother in law in Seattle. I used my Honduras ticket since I did not go this year (I will post on that later). Mary and Mark have lived in Seattle for almost 3 years and I have not gone to see them, so I thought that this would be the best time since I had 2 weeks before I started my new job. I flew out last Wed (July 2)and Marked picked me up at the airport. Lets just say that Sea-Tac airport has not mastered the art of the luggage transport from the plane to the carousel. After waiting forever I got my one bag and headed out. Mark to me to see Alki beach. It remined me of Miami beach on a smaller note.We then headed to their apartment. They live in an area called Queen Anne Hill that over looks downtown Seattle. See Wikipedia.
On Thursday we walked around Queen Anne which is seriously straight up and down. It was soo beautiful though. The yards were in full bloom and the weather was just right. There is some amazing lavender growing. I have never seen lavender that tall and thick. I had to educate Mary on Lavender. After the walk we went to Mars Hill Grad school where they are go and to Pike Place Market. We went to the first Starbucks and saw the place where they throw the fish. That night we went to eat with Jeremy and Wells a couple that are friends of M & M's. We headed to a "Kroger" to gets supplies to make potato salad and I was introduced to a really really cool device. The parking garage for the supermarket is below so you have to take an escalator. Well there is a escalator for the buggeys. It reminded me of the a rollar coaster ride. The buggy goes in through some swing metal doors and is pulled forward by a track and is lowered down as you are going down yourself next to it in the people escalator. Its cool.
The 4th we ate breakfast at Pecos. I had eggs with salsa and black beans with corn tortillas .... awesome!! Then we went to a house party at a classmate's of Mark and Mary's and then watched the fireworks from the park above Mark and Mary's apartment. It was so beautiful. It was the first time since 2003 that I have been in the states for the 4th. There were fireworks going off all around the city.
The trip was short but I really enjoyed spending time with them and in Seattle. I already planning a return trip for longer.

2 comments:

dinah lou said...

I'm glad you had a great trip. And I had no idea you didn't make it to Honduras this year :(

Kim Alexander said...

Hope the trip took your mind off other problems!!Just thinking about you.