Monday, March 19, 2007

Stepping aside

I have a question. It is not a new question...I have asked myself this question many times before, but here I am again.

How come itis hard to appreciate what is in front of us?

Whenever I am away from home and my family I tend to appreciate them more, yet after being home awhile I take them for granted, feel boxed in and cannot get away fast enough. When I am away the things I can't wait to do when I get home (walking the dogs through the fields) I hardly make time for when I'm here. (haven't walked the dogs since Sept)

For example, when I know I am going to be away for a while I will find myself standing in front of my bedroom window looking out to the backyard and the cow field trying to burn the image into my mind, or taking in a deep breath with my nose buried into my horse's neck trying to burn the smell in my memory.The best was when I was leaving for Sarasota last March (I had to go to work first though), I stood in the living room saying goodbye to my parents trying my best to hold back the tears without success (the ugly face cry) at 7am. I then proceeded to cry all the way to Jackson General Hospital. Although I was excited about my upcoming adventure it was really hard to say goodbye to my parents and my home.

Now let's fast forward to this weekend......
I have to give this disclaimer: I love my parents very much, but on sat. I felt like I was10. It seemed everywhere I went: in the house, outside or wherever I was being followed by either my mother or my dad asking 20 questions. I went to the kitchen to make supper (they were going out to eat) and my Dad was hovering over me like I needed help or something. I felt like screaming out, " I can pour my own glass of milk...THANKS." Let's just say the walls had claw marks.
Now I know my Dad loves me and was probably just trying to have a conversation with me, but I was in one of my "I don't want to talk to anyone, and the more you try to get me to talk the farther I will push you away" moods.

So, I was seconds from packing a bag and heading out of here for the night. I didn't care where I was going. I had no direction, but I was going.....but then I remembered the gas prices, so I went to the barn to hide.

So, why is it we can't appreciate what is in front of us all the time?
Why on Sat when I was coming down with parental-claustrophobia didn't I go out and walk the dogs in the snow or stand in the window and appreciate the view?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, what son or daughter who has found success and returned home does not go through the same travails? I very often am aware of the verse "There go I but for the grace of God" and it's been something I've thought about over and again. Why me? What if I didn't have the parents I do? What if I'd been born in Darfur? Why did the bullet strike a friend in Iraq, when a split-second earlier I'd stepped across the same place? But the point I'm haltingly trying to make is to appreciate them - regardless. I need to take my own advice, I know, but you can't disparage good thoughts.

dinah lou said...

I know exactly how you feel, having moved back home as well...

Just hang in there. That's what I keep telling myself. It's actually a blessing when you think about the expenses you could have right now. I'm thankful that I am able to save up for a place of my own, and because I'm living at home with my parents right now, that "place of my own" will be a reality a lot sooner...

Hopefully in another 6 months...